ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Sullivan Upper School is named after Robert Sullivan, a hugely enthusiastic educationalist, who was born in Holywood in 1800. He died in 1868 and his estate provided money for the establishment of Sullivan Upper School in 1877. The first Sullivan school was situated in High Street in what is now Holywood Library.
It was in the early 1920s that the first sign of the beginnings of a Preparatory class was seen; two underage boys followed the then Headmaster, Mr Mitchell, around the school as he moved from class to class. By 1925 there were sufficient pupils to form a Preparatory class.
In 1939, the school moved to its present site on the Belfast Road and the Preparatory classes were accommodated in the new building. Dromkeen House was bought for the Preparatory Department in 1953 and, as numbers increased, classes were taught in the Norwood Tennis Pavilion, the War Memorial Pavilion and the Grant Wing.
Although Sullivan has evolved in many ways since its foundation, we still seek to honour Robert Sullivan's desire 'to bestow the blessings of education on all succeeding generations in his native place'.
The School Motto is "lamh foisdineach an uachtar" and means "with the gentle hand foremost", a constant reminder about the virtue of "gentleness" in dealing with others.